Smoked Sausage with Sweet and Sour Sauce
Yield: 4 entree servings
1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks with
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/3 cup prepared sweet and sour sauce
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into long strips
1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
14-16 ounces smoked sausage, cut, diagonally, in 1/4-inch slices (reduced fat preferred)
Hot cooked rice
- Drain pineapple and reserve 2 tablespoons pineapple juice. Blend reserved juice with sugar plus sweet and sour sauce. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy non-stick wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepper strips. Stir-fry until pepper strips are crisp-tender. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add ginger and sausage to same wok/skillet and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain any fat.
- Stir in sweet and sour mixture and cook, stirring until sausage is coated.
- Add drained pineapple chunks and reserved peppers. Stir to coat all surfaces and heat throughout.
- Serve over hot rice.