1 pound Italian sausage
2 pounds kielbasa, halved lengthwise and cut into ½-inch pieces
1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
2 cups chopped onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup dry white wine
3 15½ -ounce cans Great Northern beans or white kidney beans, drained
2 14½-ounce cans diced tomatoes, with juices
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 large bay leaves
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
- Over medium heat, squeeze Italian sausage from casing and cook sausage in large heavy skillet, breaking up sausage into small pieces. With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a 6 quart or larger slow cooker. Drain pan drippings.
- Add kielbasa slices to same large skillet and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. With a slotted spoon, transfer kielbasa to the slow cooker and discard pan drippings.
- To the same large skillet, add carrots, onions and garlic and cook until onions are soft. Stir vegetables into the slow cooker, blending all ingredients well.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove bay leaves. Serve hot in soup bowls.