Picnic Sandwich Loaf
1 16-ounce loaf Italian bread, split
½ cup bottled Caesar vinaigrette salad dressing
2 Tablespoons minced green onion
2 Tablespoons minced ripe olives
½ cup grape or cherry tomatoes, minced
8 ounces thinly sliced bologna
4 ounces thinly sliced peppered salami
3 ounces sliced Fontina cheese
½ bell pepper, seeds removed and cut in very thin strips
2 very thin slices sweet onion, divided into rings
- Remove soft center of bread by gently pulling from the bottom and top halves to form two shells with ½-inch thick walls.
- In a small bowl, mix vinaigrette with onion, olives and tomatoes. Lightly coat each half of the loaf with vinaigrette mixture.
- Build sandwich with layers of bologna, salami and Fontina on the bottom half of the loaf. Space bell pepper rings and onion rings atop Provolone.
- Cover with top half of bread.
- Tightly wrap sandwich in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 15 hours.
- Keep cold while traveling to picnic site and just before serving, unwrap and slice into 6 sandwiches.