Picnic Pasta and Smoked Sausage Salad
Serves 6 to 8
14 ounces smoked sausage
Vinaigrette Dressing * (or use ½ cup
prepared vinaigrette dressing)
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, peeled and mashed
8 ounces uncooked penne pasta (2 ¼ cups)
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1 cup finely chopped green onion (with green tops)
2 large medium red ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
½ cup thinly sliced carrots (1 medium carrot)
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup fresh basil, julienned
Additional fresh basil for garnish
- Steam smoked/precooked sausage by bringing a pan with 2 to 3 inches of water to a boil. Turn heat off and add sausage. Immediately cover pan and let sausage stand 15 minutes. Remove sausage from water, plate and let cool in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette dressing by mixing dry mustard, salt, pepper and vinegar together in a small bowl. Slowly whip in olive oil to form an emulsion.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Place in large bowl and toss with ¼ cup vinaigrette dressing.
- When cool, slice kielbasa into thin ¼-inch slices. Remove garlic clove from vinaigrette dressing.
- Add to the bowl with the cooled pasta, the kielbasa, peas, onion, tomatoes, carrots and remaining vinaigrette. Sprinkle top with cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Add julienned basil and toss all ingredients again just before serving. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.