Mini Sausage Tarts
Yields about 45 to 48
1 pound fresh bulk sausage
1 cup chopped sweet onions
8 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
1 ½ cups fresh bread crumbs
1/3 cup roasted red peppers, drained
4 ounces crumbled plain Feta cheese
2 teaspoons dried thyme
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable cooking spray
1 12-ounce package won ton wrappers
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook sausage until brown, breaking the meat into small pieces. Remove from pan with a slotted pan and drain sausage pieces well on paper towels.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon pan drippings, discard remaining pan drippings. Saute onions in the reserved 1 tablespoon pan drippings until soft. Add mushrooms and continue to cook and stir until all liquid evaporates.
- Remove to a bowl and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sausage, bread crumbs, red peppers, Feta cheese, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix gently, but well.
- Lightly spray miniature muffin pans with vegetable cooking spray. Press won ton wrappers into each well. Flute edges. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and fill each shell with sausage mixture.
- Continue to bake in 375 degree F oven for 7-9 minutes or until they are browned.