Mexican Chorizo and Bean Salad
Serves 6 to 8
3 fresh chorizo sausage links, squeezed from
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 cups chopped and seeded fresh tomatoes
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar and olive oil salad dressing
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Additional cilantro for garnish
- Over medium heat, in a heavy non-stick skillet, brown sausage, breaking up sausage into small crumbles. Drain on paper towels and set aside. (Cooked sausage should measure 1 cup.)
- In a large bowl, combine beans, onions, jalapenos and tomatoes. Mix well. Stir in cooked sausage.
- Stir in salad dressing and cilantro and gently toss to coat all surfaces.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Garnish with additional cilantro sprigs.
- Transport to picnic in a chilled ice chest.