Italian Sausage Pizza
Yield: 6 to 8
1 (1.25-pound package) Italian sausage,
regular or reduced fat sausage
6 whole wheat English muffins, split
3/4 cup prepared pizza sauce
3/4 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Over medium heat, squeeze sausage from casings into a large heavy non-stick skillet. Cook, breaking up sausage, with back of a wooden spoon, into small pieces. Cook until sausage is brown. Remove sausage from pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a clean paper towel.
- Place 12 muffin halves on a large baking sheet.
- For each muffin half, spread 1 tablespoon pizza sauce over top of muffin, spreading to edges.
- Top each with 2 tablespoons cooked and drained sausage.
- Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon chopped tomato and finally sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
- Bake pizzas in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until cheese melts and pizza is hot throughout. Serve warm.