Italian Sausage and Vegetable Entree with Polenta
Serves 6 to 8
1 pound Italian sausage
2 cups sliced onion
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms, cleaned
1 cup sliced zucchini
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon salt
1 17-ounce package pre-cooked garlic flavored polenta, cut into ¼-inch rounds
1 ½ cups grated Provolone cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Squeeze sausage out of the casings into a large heavy skillet. Over medium heat, saute sausage, breaking up sausage into small pieces. Cook until sausage is no longer pink.
- Remove sausage from pan with a slotted spoon and drain well on clean paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon pan drippings and discard other drippings.
- Reheat same large heavy skillet over medium heat and add reserved 1 tablespoon pan drippings. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is soft. Add mushrooms and zucchini. Cook and stir frequently until all liquid evaporates.
- Stir in tomatoes, herbs, red pepper flakes and salt. Return sausage to pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread an even scant layer (about 2/3 cup) of sauce on bottom of an 11x7-inch baking pan. Add a single layer of sliced polenta rounds. Layer with 2 cups of sausage sauce, followed by ¾ cup of Provolone. Finish with an additional layer of polenta rounds, all the sausage sauce and all the Provolone. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese atop.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish each serving with fresh basil leaves.
NOTE: Use the food processor for
slicing onions, mushrooms and zucchini.
This variation of the time consuming lasagna entree requires less preparation time and less clean-up.