Grilled Pizza with Sausage
Serves 4 (entree) or 8-10 (appetizer)
½ pound Italian sausage
1 14 to 16-ounce baked cheese pizza crust
2 tablespoons olive oil
2/3 cup pizza sauce
1 cup shredded part skim Mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Prick sausages with a fork. Place sausages on an oiled grill rack, set 5 to 6 inches over medium-low heat. Grill, turning them with tongs, until cooked throughout and gray-brown in color, about 10 minutes. The internal temperature should reach 165 degrees F. Remove from grill, cool and cut into thin ¼-inch slices.
- Brush both sides of pizza crust with olive oil. Gently place pizza crust, top-side down on grill rack. Grill over indirect low heat for 2 to 3 minutes until crust is warm. Remove from heat and place on large tray.
- Quickly spread tomato sauce on the cooked side of the pizza crust, then arrange sliced sausage evenly across top of pizza. Sprinkle with cheeses and oregano.
- Return pizza to grill rack and grill over indirect low heat. Cover with grill lid or tent with foil.
- Grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until toppings are warm and cheese has melted.