Grilled Dogs with Creole Sauce
5 slices bacon, diced
½ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped green pepper
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
¼ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
10 hot dogs or knockwurst
10 hot dog buns, split
NOTE: 1-1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning blend may be substituted for the listed seasonings.
- Cook bacon over medium heat in a heavy skillet. Cook until crisp. Remove and reserve bacon.
- Drain all but 2-teaspoons bacon drippings. Add onion and green pepper and cook until soft. Stir in diced tomatoes, all spices and seasonings. Reduce heat, cover and gently simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill for the direct grilling method, using medium heat. Place hot dogs/wurst on grill rack, about 4 to 5 inches from the heat. Cook hot dogs/wurst over direct medium heat to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.
- During last 3-4 minutes, open hot dog buns and lightly toast buns over indirect heat.
- Place hot dogs/wurst into heated buns. Ladle Creole Sauce over hot dogs/wurst. Sprinkle with chopped reserved bacon.