Sweet Onion Pigs in a Blanket
Yield 4 to 8 entree servings
2 teaspoons canola oil
4 cups finely minced sweet onions
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 16-ounce package hot dogs (8 hot dogs per package), drained
1 16.3-ounce tube refrigerated big biscuits (8 per tube)
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until lightly brown (about 8 to 10 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Stir in sugar, vinegar and seasonings. Immediately reduce heat to low. Cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until most liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Pat hot dogs dry. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Separate biscuits and flatten each biscuit to measure 5 x 3 ½-inches.
- Place 1 tablespoon onion preserves in center of each biscuit. Top with hot dog.
- Wrap dough around each hot dog, leaving ends open. Gently press edges to seal.
- Place wrapped hot dogs, 1 to 2 inches apart, seam side down, on large shiny ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until biscuits are light brown. Immediately transfer to cooling rack.
- Spoon additional onion preserves on top of each hot dog and/or serve warm with assorted mustards.
© National Hot Dog & Sausage Council