Sunny Beach Blanket Brunch Piggy
Yield 5 to 6 servings
1 (12-ounce) package breakfast sausage links
(1-ounce or less per sausage)
2 cups buttermilk complete pancake mix
1-2/3 cups cold water
2 Tablespoons confectioners sugar
As needed, maple syrup
As needed, preserves
- Place sausage links in a heavy, large skillet with ¼-inch cold water. Cook on medium heat until water evaporates (about 6 minutes). Turn sausage frequently and continue to cook another 6 to 7 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Drain any fat, cover pan and keep sausage warm.
- Meanwhile whisk pancake mix and water together only until large lumps disappear. Do not over mix.
- Coat a nonstick skillet or flat griddle with ¼ teaspoon solid shortening and preheat over medium-low heat. Pour ¼ cup batter into hot pan. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface and bottom is golden brown.
- Turn pancakes and continue cooking until golden brown on both sides. Turn pancakes only once as over handling toughens them.
- Roll one cooked sausage link in each pancake and place seam side down on warm plates. Repeat.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and serve
2 pancakes per person. Serve warm with syrup or
* NOTE: maple flavor sausage preferred
© National Hot Dog & Sausage Council