Sausage Salsa Lasagna
16 ounces breakfast sausage
3 cups thick tomato salsa
2 cups part-skim Ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon minced fresh jalapeno pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, packed
Vegetable cooking spray
6 (8-inch) flour tortillas (chipotle or jalapeno flavored preferred) 2 tortillas cut in quarters
2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large heavy skillet, cook sausage over medium heat breaking up sausage into small pieces with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until sausage is brown and has lost all pink color. Thoroughly drain pan drippings. Stir in salsa and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat egg and blend in Ricotta, cumin, jalapeno and cilantro.
- Lightly spray a 13X9-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Spread half of the sausage/salsa mixture in baking dish. Arrange 2 whole tortillas over sausage and place quartered pieces in corners to cover sausage. Top with half the Ricotta mixture, spreading evenly with a knife. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup shredded cheese. Repeat layers ending with all the shredded cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake in the center of a preheated 350 degree F oven for 35-40 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly throughout.
- Let lasagna stand for 8 to 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs.
© National Hot Dog & Sausage Council