Sausage, Red Bliss Potatoes and Gruyere Salad
Portion: 4 entree salads
12 ounces FULLY-COOKED SMOKED SAUSAGE OR
FULLY COOKED LOW-FAT SMOKED SAUSAGE
1 1⁄2 pounds small to medium red bliss potatoes, washed
2⁄3 cup green onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1⁄3 cup light mayonnaise
1⁄4 cup non-fat plain yogurt
1 tsp. caraway seeds
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, medium dice
8-12 romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
12 tomato wedges
- Reheat sausage thoroughly according to package directions. Cool slightly and cut into thin slices.
- Meanwhile, cover potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil in a 2 to 3 quart saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and cool just until they are cool enough to handle. Cut potatoes into 1⁄8 inch slices.
- In a large bowl, combine onions and vinegar with the potatoes. Using a rubber scraper, gently stir together. Cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, yogurt, and caraway seeds. Gently fold into the potatoes. Add smoked sausage and cheese.
- For each portion, serve 2 cups salad atop a bed of romaine leaves. Garnish each entree plate with 3 tomato wedges. May be served immediately at room temperature or covered and chilled.
Nutritional Information (per
|Fat Total||40 grams|
|Fat Total||17 grams|
© National Hot Dog & Sausage Council