Sausage Empanadas with Cilantro Lime Sour Cream
Yield: 16 Empanadas
Cilantro Lime Sour Cream
1 cup sour cream
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, packed
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and chill.
16 ounces spicy hot breakfast sausage
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
½ cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ cup golden raisins
¼ cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, finely chopped
2 (14-ounce) packages frozen empanada/turnover discs (dough) 5-inches diameter, thawed * See Note Below
1 egg, beaten
Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Over medium heat, crumble sausage into a large heavy skillet. Add onion and cook, breaking up sausage, with back of a wooden spoon, into small pieces. Cook until sausage is brown and onions are soft. Drain fat from pan.
- Add garlic, tomato sauce, cumin, oregano, pepper flakes, raisins and olives. Cook about 2-3 minutes, continuing to break sausage into small pieces. Cool slightly.
- Place dough/circle on flat surface; add about 2 tablespoons sausage mixture down center of each circle. Fold dough in half, forming a half circle. Slightly moisten dough edges and tightly seal dough by crimping edges with moist finger tips. (Could be prepared to this point 5 to 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Spray shallow baking sheets with nonstick vegetable spray or line with parchment paper. Place empanadas on prepared baking sheets. Prick each empanada top, several times, with a fork to allow steam to escape during baking. Lightly brush tops with beaten egg.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with Cilantro Lime Cream. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
NOTE: You may substitute 2 (15-ounce) packages prepared pie crusts. Unroll crusts and using a 5-inch plate, cut out rounds. Re-roll scraps and cut additional rounds for a total of 16 rounds.
© National Hot Dog & Sausage Council