Quick Smoked Sausage Jambalya
Portion: 4 entrees
1 pound KIELBASA SMOKED SAUSAGE or LOW-FAT
KIELBASA SMOKED SAUSAGE, cut into 1⁄4
1 cup chopped red onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1⁄2 cup chopped celery
1 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice
1 1⁄3 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 15-ounce can stewed tomatoes, (Cajun recipe preferred)
1⁄2 tsp. thyme
1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1⁄8 tsp. ground cloves
- Over moderate-high heat, brown kielbasa in a 5-quart heavy saucepan, stir frequently. When the sausage is brown, transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon of pan drippings but discard any other drippings.
- Return pan drippings to saucepan and add onion, green pepper and celery. Saute over moderate-high heat, stirring occasionally until onion is soft.
- Stir in the rice, chicken broth, tomatoes with their juices, herbs and spices. Cover pan and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Return sausage to the saucepan and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Serve immediately in heated shallow bowls.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
|Fat Total||32 grams|
|Fat Total||7 grams|
© National Hot Dog & Sausage Council