Old Hickory Barbecue Sauce
Yield: 1¾ cups
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 cup sweet onions, chopped fine
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
¼ cup cocktail sauce
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup white corn syrup
¼ cup honey
2 tablespoons Tennessee bourbon
2 teaspoons liquid hickory smoke seasoning
Hot dogs, cooked
Hot dog buns, heated
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until both are soft. Remove from heat and cool.
- Stir in cocktail sauce, ketchup, corn syrup, honey, bourbon and liquid smoke seasoning. Reserve ½ cup for serving.
- Grill hot dogs, over medium heat, 4 inches from the heat source, brushing with barbecue sauce during the last few minutes of grill time.
- Serve 1 tablespoon warm sauce over each cooked hot dog in a heated bun.
- If desired, sprinkle 1 tablespoon grated
cheese atop each hot
© National Hot Dog & Sausage