Mediterranean Sausage Rice Pilaf
Serves: 10-12 as a side dish
16 ounces Italian sausage, casings
1 cup finely chopped onions
½ cup finely chopped celery
½ cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup coarsely chopped baby bella mushrooms
3 ½ cups (2-14.5 ounce cans) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups long-grain rice
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Over medium heat, crumble sausage into a large heavy non-stick skillet. Cook, breaking up sausage, with back of a wooden spoon, into small pieces. Cook until sausage is brown.
- Remove sausage from pan with a slotted spoon. Drain all but 2 teaspoons fat. Add vegetables to same skillet and saute vegetables in pan drippings until tender.
- Return sausage to skillet. Stir in broth, rice, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, spray a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with non-stick vegetable spray. Add hot sausage/rice mixture. Cover tightly and bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 25 minutes or until rice is cooked and tender.
- Fluff with fork to allow steam to escape and keep grains separate. Sprinkle with almonds and serve immediately.
© National Hot Dog & Sausage Council