Haute "Hogs" in a Blanket
Yield 4 entree servings
1 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled
1/3 cup beer
4 teaspoons mustard with horseradish + some for dipping
16-ounces fully cooked smoked sausage, drained, patted dry and cut into 4 pieces (each measuring about 4 ½ inches)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a heavy, shiny baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- With a fork, add beer and stir to form soft dough. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead, with floured hands, only about 10 times.
- Roll dough into a rectangle, ¼-inch thick, measuring 10 x 8-inches. Cut into 4 small rectangles, each measuring 5 x 4-inches.
- Spread each section of dough with 1 teaspoon mustard. Place sausage at top of dough and roll up tightly, pinching ends of dough to seal. Repeat to make four sausage rolls.
- Place sausage rolls, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet, allowing 1-inch space between each.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 17 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with mustard with horseradish or One-Alarm Mustard Dip.
One-Alarm Mustard Dip
½ cup yellow mustard
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons catsup
1 teaspoon hot sauce* (see Note)
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne* (see Note)
1. Combine ingredients and cover. Chill
at least 30 minutes before serving.
2. NOTE: For hotter flavor, double portions of hot sauce and cayenne.
© National Hot Dog & Sausage Council