Portion: 15 whole slices or 30 triangular slices
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 pound chicken livers, washed in cold water and drained
½ cup Madeira
2 Tbsp. brandy
3 large eggs
2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
½ tsp. dried rosemary
½ tsp. ground allspice
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 pound FRESH BULK SAUSAGE, mild
8 strips bacon
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sautee chicken livers until brown and all pink color disappears, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and cool for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a food processor, fitted with the metal blade, combine the cooked chicken livers, Madeira, brandy, eggs, flour and seasonings. Process for a few seconds until thoroughly pureed. Add uncooked sausage and continue to process on the pulse speed until all ingredients are well blended.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 7 inch pate mold or a 8-½ x 4-½ inch loaf pan with the bacon strips. Spoon the mixture into mold. Bring the bacon strips up over the top of the mixture. Cover tightly with foil.
- Place the mold in a large baking dish and add hot water to half the depth of the mold. Bake in the hot water bath in the preheated oven for 1 hour, 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. (If not using a pate mold with tiny holes, drain off the fat.)
- Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate, at least 12 hours so flavors may mature.
- To serve, unmold onto a serving platter and remove the bacon strips. Cut into ½ inch slices and cut again, on the diagonal, to make triangular slices.
(per triangular slice serving: 30 portions)
|Fat Total||5 grams|
© National Hot Dog & Sausage Council