Fiery Sausage Chipotle Chili
Yield: 2-1/2 quarts
1 pound fresh chorizo sausage, regular or reduced-fat sausage
1 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
2 cups thick salsa with chipotle
28-oz canned petite diced tomatoes
15-oz canned low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
15-oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Green onions, chopped
- Heat a large nonstick Dutch oven over medium heat. Squeeze sausage from the casings into the pan. Cook, breaking up sausage into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until sausage is brown. Remove from pan and drain well, if needed, on paper towels.
- Discard all but 1 teaspoon sausage drippings. (If using reduced-fat sausage, add 1 teaspoon canola oil to pan.) Over medium heat, add onion to pan drippings and saute just until soft, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook only 30 to 45 seconds or until fragrant.
- Stir in salsa, tomatoes, broth and beans. Return sausage to pan and stir all ingredients together. Allow mixture to come to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish each serving with sour cream, cheese and/or onions.