Baked Sausage and Creamy White Cheddar Grits
Yield: 9-12 breakfast
Nonstick cooking spray
1 pound breakfast or bulk sausage, spicy flavor preferred
1 large red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed and chopped
2-1/2 cups cold water
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick-cooking grits
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
6 ounces white sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded, DIVIDED
2 large eggs, well beaten
Peach mango fruit salsa
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 7x11-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large heavy nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, breaking up sausage into small pieces. Cook until no longer pink. Drain on clean paper towels.
- Drain all but 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of pan drippings. Add red peppers to skillet and cook until soft.
- In a separate heavy saucepan, bring water, milk and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Immediately reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 7 minutes.
- Add mustard, thyme and 1 cup cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Cool slightly and fold in sausage and red pepper. Stir in beaten eggs.
- Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until light golden brown. Grits should be firm and set in the center.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with peach mango fruit salsa.
Download a printable version