stuffed bell peppers with italian sausage
Yield: 4 entrée portions
4 medium bell peppers, (mix of green, red or yellow) halved lengthwise,
veins and seeds removed
1 pound hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup peeled and finely grated carrots
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1 (8-ounce) can No-Salt Added tomato sauce
1 cup cooked rice
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Blanch peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes. Plunge peppers into cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well.
- In a large, heavy nonstick skillet, over medium heat, cook sausage, breaking sausage into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until no longer pink.
- Drain all but 1/2 teaspoon pan drippings from pan. Add onions and carrots and sauté just until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and cook only until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato sauce, cooked rice, oregano and black pepper. Mix gently but thoroughly.
- Spray a 13 X 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place pepper halves, cut side-up, in dish. Portion sausage mixture into the pepper halves.
- Bake, covered, in a preheated 350ºF oven, for 25 minutes. Remove cover and sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon Parmesan. Return to oven, uncovered, and bake 5 more minutes or until sausage mixture reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
Download a printable version