CHARCUTERIE COUNTRY PÂTÉ
This rich loaf is the perfect make-ahead party food. Serve on a platter with
other sliced sausages, dried meats and cheeses plus baguette slices.
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 pound chicken livers, washed in cold water and drained
1/2 cup Madeira
2 tablespoons brandy
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound mild FRESH BULK SAUSAGE
8 strips thick bacon
Fresh parsley, chopped
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté chicken livers until brown and all pink color disappears, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and cool for about 10 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3. In the bowl of a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, combine cooked
chicken livers, Madeira, brandy, eggs, flour and seasonings. Process for a few seconds
until thoroughly pureed. Add uncooked sausage and continue to process on the pulse
speed until all ingredients are well blended.
4. Line the bottom and sides of a 7-inch pate mold or a 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 inch loaf pan with
bacon strips. Spoon the mixture into mold. Bring the bacon strips up over the top of the
mixture. Cover tightly with foil.
5. Place the mold in a large shallow baking dish and add hot water to half the depth of the mold. Bake in the hot water bath in the preheated oven for 1 hour, 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. (If not using a pate mold with tiny holes, drain off all fat.)
6. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate, at least 12 hours so flavors may mature.
7. To serve, unmold onto a serving platter and remove the bacon strips. Cut into 1/2 inch
slices and cut again, on the diagonal, to make triangular slices.
8. For a decorative touch, dip edges of pate into chopped parsley to coat cut edges.