Washington, DC, January 31, 2008 — As Americans plan their menus for what is the secnd biggest eating day of the year —Super Bowl Sunday — the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council has released a new sausage chili recipe that is sure to be a crowd pleaser during the big game and all winter long.
“Fiery Sausage Chipotle Chili” combines the traditional ingredients of the American game day favorite with Mexican mainstays like spicy chorizo sausage, black beans and chipotle pepper. The result? A unique blend of flavors that will have your friends and family declaring, “Touchdown!
To download this winning recipe and others like it, or to obtain more information on hot dogs and sausages, visit www.hot-dog.org.
The National Hot Dog & Sausage Council is a project of the American Meat Institute Foundation. The Council offers recipes, photographs, cooking, handling and storage tips, funfilled facts and trivia and other general information about hot dogs and sausages and hosts the ever-popular site www.hot-dog.org
Fiery Sausage Chipotle Chili
Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Green Onions, chopped
1 pound fresh chorizo sausage, regular or reduced-fat sausage
1 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
2 cups thick salsa with chipotle
28-oz canned petite diced tomatoes
15-oz canned low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
15-oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat a large nonstick Dutch oven over medium heat. Squeeze sausage from the casings into the pan. Cook, breaking up sausage into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until sausage is brown. Remove from pan and drain well, if needed, on paper towels.
- Discard all but 1 teaspoon sausage drippings. (If using reduced-fat sausage, add 1 teaspoon canola oil to pan.) Over medium heat, add onion to pan drippings and sauté just until soft, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook only 30 to 45 seconds or until fragrant.
- Stir in salsa, tomatoes, broth and beans. Return sausage to pan and stir all ingredients together. Allow mixture to come to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Garnish each serving with sour cream, cheese and/or onions.